Albertus Magnus High School was founded in September 1957 by the Dominican Congregation of Our Lady of the Rosary, also known as the Dominican Sisters of SparkilI, NY. In 1956, Cardinal Francis Spellman, Archbishop of New York, asked the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill to construct and staff a co-educational Catholic high school in Rockland County, NY. At the request of Mother Kevin Sullivan, the school was named Albertus Magnus High School for the renowned Dominican priest, bishop and scholar, St. Albert the Great.
Once a site had been secured in Bardonia and architectural plans were in progress, classes for the first 50 freshmen of Albertus Magnus High School were held in 4 classrooms of St. Catharine of Alexandria Elementary School in Blauvelt, beginning in September 1957. In 1958 the freshmen and sophomores had classes in Blauvelt while the ground was broken in Bardonia and construction of the new building was underway. By September 1959, the freshmen, sophomores and juniors began occupying the partially-completed new high school. September 1960 marked the first academic year that began with a full, four-year student body, and the seniors became the first graduates of Albertus Magnus High School in June 1961.
Albertus Magnus, the only Catholic high school in Rockland County, is recognized and accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Middle States Association. In addition to an excellent academic program and an array of extracurricular activities, students are offered a value-centered Catholic education with emphasis on love of God and one’s neighbor—the way of life to which a Christian is called, on the application of the scriptures to one’s daily life, and on the teachings of the Church. The school community gathers on special occasions for the celebration of the Eucharist and for various prayer services. Students participate in multiple opportunities for service to people in need, learning practical ways to live out their faith.
Over the last few years several improvements have been made to the campus, making it a more robust place for learning, athletics and the arts as well as a more attractive environment. Visitors to the school immediately notice the new outdoor lighting that adds nostalgic charm out front, the building colors have been modified to match the school colors, and landscaping and masonry improvements have improved appearance and safety. Around back, one can see the new track and state-of-the-art turf field where our student athletes compete. On the inside, new “green” lighting brightens hallways and new water stations replace the fountains of yesteryear. In addition, the nearly invisible network and wireless infrastructure provides for an anywhere learning environment leveraged by teachers and students to make the experiences for both top notch. Finally, the gym’s new floor and sound system make indoor sports and our concerts and plays so exciting.
Alumni of Albertus Magnus High School are valued members of the school community. Alumni serve on the School Board, and many have been faithful supporters of and contributors to fundraising events. A number of families have two generations of Albertus graduates. and some current students represent the third generation.